My Guide Website?
From Nice: Train Experience Through the Alps & Baroque Route145 Reviews
Enjoy a full-day tour through the Alps and ride a scenic train ride from Nice, passing by canyons, viaducts, and tunnels. Stop by picturesque villages and explore the hidden treasures of the Roya Valley.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in French Riviera:If youʻre booking your trip to French Riviera last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Board the historic Train Des Merveilles and take a fascinating ride through the Alps
- Explore Tende and Saorge (La Brigue), 2 impressive medieval villages in the Alps
- Visit the Museum des Merveilles and see Bronze Age petroglyphs
- Immerse yourself in the natural landscape of the Alps and its surrounding canyons
- Discover treasures of Baroque art, Medieval architecture and early 20th century
DescriptionEscape off the beaten track and join us on an excursion that combines adventure by train, exploration of medieval villages, breathtaking medieval and Baroque architecture and incredible natural landscapes in the middle of the Alps. Meet your guide at 8:30 a.m. in front of Nice-Ville's main train station (Boulangerie Paul terrace). Discover breathtaking scenery as you cross natural canyons, high bridges and tunnels on a 2.5-hour train ride to your destination. Along the way, your guide will reveal the secrets of one of France's most beautiful railroad lines, a testament to French civil engineering in the early 20th century. We'll make two stops to visit two medieval villages, Saorge and Tende (depending on the day, the guide may change the program to visit other equally beautiful villages). First, visit Tende and its Museum des Merveilles to discover mysterious Bronze Age engravings and other historical artifacts from the Mercantour National Park. Afterwards, you'll visit the Mercantour National Park House to observe protected species of endemic flora and fauna. After lunch (you can choose between a picnic or lunch in a local restaurant), you'll visit other must-see sites in Tende, such as a baroque cathedral, a labyrinth of medieval streets, panoramic views from the top of the village, the cemetery and the ruins of an ancient castle. Let's continue our journey to Saorge, an impressive village, a pearl of medieval architecture with steep streets, built on a concave hill. Classified as one of France's most beautiful villages. Admire the charming and peaceful Franciscan convent of Saorge (option 5€/p), founded in the 17th century, before visiting the church of Saint-Sauveur, another jewel of Baroque art. The village offers spectacular views of the Alps and surrounding canyons. An enchanting day full of surprises! Return by train, arriving in Nice at 7.45pm. The guide reserves the right to modify the itinerary depending on the interests of the guests, the weather conditions or availabilities of the restaurants/snacks, museums/monuments (Itinerary could include La Brigue, Breil/Roya or Sospel (instead Tende and Saorge)) Example of option to change the itinerary during the hottest summer days: - Take a refreshing dip in a natural swimming pool (river) (La Brigue or Breil-sur-Roya option)
IncludesRoundtrip train tickets Lunch picnic or lunch at a local restaurant (depending on option selected) Professional guide Commentary onboard the train, in the villages, and inside the monuments
- As this tour involves a lot of walking, it is advised to wear comfortable and good shoes. Dress appropriately for the weather on the day of the tour
- A good physical condition is required for this tour (includes between 7km to 15km of walking in the villages, short hiking options offered)
- Bring a towel and swimsuit if you would like to take refreshing dip in the river (and tell us by advance to see if the itinerary can be adapted